Tuesday 9 December 2014

Task 5.C Professional Ethics 'Reader 5'




The concept of ethics

After several attempts to wrap my head around the concepts of ethics, I still feel just as bombarded with information as I did the first time I read it. It seems to be such a huge area of study. One with no definite answer, no right or wrong just a vague grey area left open to interpretation. I believe ethics asks more questions than it answers, once you begin down a path, it can become an endless stream of questions. What is right? Will others agree? Am I sure?

Kevin Carter

The case of the photographer Kevin Carter left harsh imagery in my mind, when I think of the word ethics, I now think of this case. For me, this was the best example of ethics, where professional codes of conduct meet moral judgment. In this case I honestly do not know how I feel, I do not have an opinion, as I can see both sides of this terrible story. Both sides are right, aren’t they? I find myself going back and forth, question after question.

If he was instructed not to touch anyone for fear of epidemic, should he have listened? Can you really stand by when someone is dying? Does one life make a difference? Why did no one help? Why was this girl left to die? Should all the blame really be put on this man’s shoulders because he was there? I do believe every life is precious, and I don’t think I would have been strong enough to leave this girl. I understand it is just one life, but in that moment I believe I wouldn't be strong enough to think about the big picture. Is the big picture important?

If we all help when we can, won’t the world become a better place to live? Or could this one small act of kindness turned into a bigger uglier issue. He was warned for a reason right? Could this have lead to several deaths through disease? This case has helped me to understand the concept of ethics and how difficult it can be to determine right from wrong, a grey area open for interpretation.

My Virtues vs. My Profession



They say morals and ethics are entwined, I found this to be true when making a list of personal virtues. They entwined when I made a list of professional virtues and found some were the same. Looking at both lists I realised, even though some aspect such as: organisation, punctuality and responsibility appeared on both lists they were still completely different. How I would like to be perceived in a working environment drastically contrasts with how I wish to be perceived in life. This got me to thinking about how ambitious I really am.

 I am willing to portray only the professional aspects of myself and not any of the morals and virtues I feel strongly about in my heart. Caring, Positive, polite and helpful all appeared on my personal list, but not my professional one. When I think about the people I enjoy working with the most; they all have these great personal qualities. So why had I not put them on my professional list? This to me was a bit of a wakeup call, time to have a good long think about ethics and the kind of professional I wish to be.

My Inquiry and the ethical considerations

Thinking about the three processes for analysing ethics; Metaethics, Theoretical Normative Ethics and Applied Ethics, will help me to plan a detailed and safe inquiry for all involved.  My study will be based on GCSE dance student aged between 15/16; as I would like my results to be beneficial to all of KS4 I may need to consider adding other age groups to the study. The data, methods and results collected from students aged 16, may differ greatly from students who have just started their GCSE’S. 

As there is only one boy in the 3 years groups taking dance, I may need to think about how I approach this. Is it worth only using girls for the study? Should I visit other schools with more boys?

I chose yr 11 GCSE students because as part of their practical exam they have to choreograph a piece using a stimulus; this is often a real life story or issue. Talking to the students and witnessing firsthand the positive impact this has had is the reason I want to look into this further. I am hoping research this in depth to find new techniques and methods for teachers to use across the board. This may be a little ambitious; however I’m hoping to narrow this down to very specific criteria.

As I currently work in the school access to the building and facilities isn’t a problem. Most observation will take place during lessons however some may need to be done during dinner or after school. This is not a problem as school is open until 6.30 pm every night. If I do decide to do after school sessions; registers will need to be made and parents contacted. A discussion and consent from both my head of department and head of the school will need to take place before I begin my plan.


Contacting students will not be a problem as I see them every day. For further details or in the event of an emergency; I can access all student details via my school laptop and gain any medical or confidential information needed. As it is a school, confidential information is only available via the data zone, which can only be accessed on school property. This is the same for any video recordings or images of students, content of this kind can only be stored on the school media zone; which can only be accessed through the school internet. These are all very important ethical issues I need to consider when planning my inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment